*originally posted on September 4, 2012 here.
WOW! It’s the start of the ber months already! Hello, Christmas season!
Before I proceed to my required reading list for this month, let me make a brief recap of my reading accomplishments on the previous month (I am currently having a hard time recalling my reading list for August because, as I have said, in my previous post: MY SITE HAS GONE BONKERS!). It’s a good thing that I also update my Goodreads account, I can still look up my book reads and ratings from there.
August has been a very productive reading month, and although I wasn’t able to finish reading the 4 books in my reading list (I am still currently reading Life of Pi), I managed to finish, and enjoy, my other readings, most especially Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Did I say that this recap will only be brief? Sorry, I got carried away.
Okay, here’s the quick recap, for real: ( I really feel bad that I can’t provide links for my reviews for these books, because MY SITE IS, AS I’VE SAID, DOWN AGAIN. BOOHOO!!!!)
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro – 5/5 stars and more!
- The Red Tent by Anita Diamant – 4/5 stars.
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald — 2/5 stars
Also, I was able to finish 2 local books I challenged myself to read in celebration of the Buwan ng Wika:
- Ito Na Siguro Ang Pinakamahabang Title Ng Isang Libro Na Ginawa Sa Pilipinas At Nagmula Sa Munting Facebook Page Ni AkOPOSIJAYSON Na Walang Maisip Na Pamagat by Jayson G. Benedicto – 5/5 stars (because you get to read your money’s worth which is P100.00 only)
- Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin by Bob Ong – 3/5 stars. (I guess I will never really be a Bob Ong fan)
The other book that really made August a memorable reading month was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Even if this wasn’t included in my reading list, I managed to read it during one of the long weekends. I was literally bawling over when I finished the book (it could be a combination of my hormones and the emotional impact of the book). I’ll write down my thoughts once I get my site going again, promise.
Okay, enough of that supposedly brief recap. On to my September Required Reading list:
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. The book of the month of my book club.
- Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safron Foer. A buddy read also in my book club, which actually started yesterday.
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Another buddy read to start on the 17th.
Heavy reads, don’t you think? Plus, I have to finish Life of Pi which I started last month. I figure I’ll read some chick lit this month to balance the burden.
So there. I am really getting my fingers crossed so tight that my website gets restored soonest since we are already changing hosts this week. Expect a new blog banner.
For other September reading lists, check out these sites: