It’s Required Reading Challenge time again! Of course, I’m already a bit late for this post because I should have done this at the start of the month, but life got in the way as it always does, so please pardon my tardiness.
Required Reading Challenge is the only reading challenge I joined this year apart from the Reading Goal of 30 books I set in Goodreads. Tina of One More Page hosts this monthly challenge and together with some friends in our book club, we pick books to read every month and challenge ourselves to finish them on schedule! In case you missed it, here are the rules of this challenge which I lifted from Tina’s blog:
- Books chosen for the challenge should be in the current TBR pile as of the month of the Required Reading post. So if you decided to join at March, the books you choose for the month should be in your TBR pile as of February.
- Galleys and ARCs can be included.
- Posting reviews aren’t necessary (but don’t you want that out of the way, too?).
- I’ll be posting a theme every month but you don’t have to follow that. You can choose a theme for yourself if you want to — what’s important is the books that you put there are books that you want to get to reading.
- Lastly: have fun. If you don’t finish a book, it’s okay! If you finish it, then…feel free to reward yourself with something. Like a new book. 😀
The rules are very doable, so if you want to challenge your reading habits this year, do come and join us! 🙂
Now, on to my first Required Reading list for the year:
As I’ve mentioned in my previous post, I have only decided to read 30 books for this year. So that means, on the average, I should read at least 2 books every month. Compared to the 3-4 books per month I read last year, this number is actually very easily achievable, I don’t think it is a challenge anymore, haha! But still, in my current state where I want to sleep and just be lazy all the time (plus my mood swings), I might find myself trying hard to reach my goal. I hope not. 😛
Here are my January books:
- Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner. This is a birthday gift from a fellow book club member, Ronnie. I chose this book for this month because I am on an easy, feel-good reading marathon these days and the blurb describes it as that. I have already read a couple of pages and so far I love Vaclav already. 😉
- No Strings Attached by Mina V. Esguerra. It is no secret that I am a Mina V. Esguerra fan and I have already a complete set of her books! This copy is given by my Kris Kringle mommy, Cary, last December and I can’t wait to start!
My choices for this month are both light reads and I think they’re just perfect companions to my current Shopaholic series marathon (I am already on the 5th book!). I wonder for how long my mood for light, fun, and easy reads will last because I am also planning to read some of my “serious” and “masculine” books soon, such as these:
Other January Required Reading posts:
Tina of One More Page
Monique of marginalia
Maria of Reading Is The Ultimate Aphrodisiac
Tricia of In Lesbians With Books
Angus of Book Rhapsody