Hello, hello, love month! ♥
January seems to have passed by so quickly, and even though I spent the later part of the month on bed rest, I was glad for the time to do some reading and catching up on my review backlogs! 🙂 I only included two books in my January Required Reading list, and I must say that it was very very easy to finish them in time. In fact, I was able to finish all of them way before the month ended, so I decided to pick up 2 other books (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John LeCarre and Killing Time by Caleb Carr) which I ditched after several pages because I was just not in the mood for some serious, war, conspiracy, and espionage stuff.
So, how did I find my January Required Reading books?
- No Strings Attached by Mina V. Esguerra . 2/5 stars. It was a quick read and even though I exactly did not hate it, I just felt that I can’t relate that much with the main character, Carla, as well as all the other characters. I felt my age with this one but this does not mean that I will no longer read any Mina books. I still have two more of her books in line! 🙂
- Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner. 4/5 stars. I absolutely loved this book! I loved it so much I highly recommend this for those who want a warm, fuzzy read for the love month, but minus the chick-lit, typical romance story feel. 🙂
Now for February!
Even though I don’t really follow a particular theme for my monthly required readings, this love month I decided to join in on the bandwagon and chose books devoted to love and relationships. Love stories are just perfect for this month, yes? 🙂
Due to my dismal picks last month after I was done with my required readings, I decided to choose more than 2 books for this month because most in my list are just short, quick reads and I want to maximize my reading by not wasting any more time reading books which I may lose interest after a while.
Here’s my February Required Reading list:
- A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. This may not be a typical romance/love story but I have for so long wanted to read this. So, after reading the blurb that it has some romance in it, I quickly decided to squeeze this book in. Plus, this will provide a serious balance for my other reads on the list. I am planning to read this last.
- My Imaginary Ex by Mina V. Esguerra. Yes, if you have noticed, I am on a Mina V. Esguerra roll since last year, and I won’t stop until I finish reading all of her books.
- Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez. I am glad that we have this book as the book club’s monthly read because this will be a welcome addition to my personal challenge of reading more local books. Plus, I heard good things about this classic short story so I can’t wait to read it soon!
- This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. This is a buddy read with some friends at the book club and this will be my second Dessen after The Truth About Forever (4/5 stars).
Cheer me on my reading this month, will you? Happy month of love! ♥
Other February Required Reading lists: