From the Filipino Readercon website:
For those who are new to this activity, Filipino Friday is a weekly internet meme held during the Fridays of the Filipino Reader Conference month where Filipino readers around the world (like you!) are highly encouraged to take part in! To be able to participate in this activity, all you need to do is to read the weekly Filipino Friday posts, write a response to each weekly prompt on your own blog or any social networking account (which must be set to public for us to see it), and post a link to your answers in the comments section. After posting your answers, we encourage you to check out what your fellow bloggers and readers have posted! This is a timely and exciting opportunity for each of us to get to know and interact with other readers and writers, and it is one you will surely enjoy.
Hello! I will be putting up two Filipino Friday posts in succession beginning with this one because I missed doing the post last week. Last Friday’s prompt is:
For this week’s Filipino Friday question, we ask you What are the five (5) Things You Wish as a Filipino Reader?
This could be anything! What stories do you want to see from our local authors? Which author do you want to visit the country? Would you want to see your favorite comic book become a live action movie? It’s time for you to share your ultimate wishlist from your perspective as a Filipino Reader. Go wild, go crazy!
Here are my five wishes as a Filipino reader, in no particular order:
- I wish to read more crime fiction set in the Philippines. I recently finished F.H. Batacan’s Smaller and Smaller Circles and I was really impressed. It’s rare that I read crime fiction which is set in the Philippines and with Filipinos as main characters. Also worth mentioning is Eliza Victoria’s Dwellers which I also really really liked. Kaya naman pala ng Pinoy! I want more stories along this genre.
- I wish to read more women’s lit with Filipino women as main characters. Maybe something about motherhood from a Filipina perspective?
- I wish there are more bookstores in the provinces. I am from the Visayas and there aren’t many choices when it comes to bookstores from where I am. I would often request friends from Manila to send me books I wanted because we have limited choices here.
- I wish there are more public libraries (with updated book selections). Wow, this would be heavenly if this happens.
- I wish bookish events are also held outside Manila. So that I can also easily go and attend them. Book signings and author meet-ups would be awesome.
Are these wishful thinking? Ah, but it’s a free country. Let me dream because who knows? These might come true in the end. 🙂